09-14-2018, 06:15 AM   #1966
Slaney
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptobvious View Post
I'm super happy that I can turn ASD on and off now. I can understand why purists hate ASD. But, as someone coming to performance cars with zero previous history and zero preconceptions, I do have to say that there are pro's in addition to the con's.

Reasons to turn ASD off:

1. I can now use the car as a daily driver and as an all-around family car. Before, I told my wife that there was no way we could ever use the car to do a long road trip - we'd be deaf by the end of the vacation. With ASD off, the car is as quiet as my 328i.

2. If you want to be able to have conversations with other people in the car, you will want ASD off.

3. There's a horrible drone at around 2000 RPM if you're holding steady on the throttle. So, you know, if you're going 70-80mph on the freeway, you're going to have this migraine inducing drone in your ears the entire time.

Reasons to keep ASD on:

1. ASD will make you feel like you're in the cockpit of a fighter jet when you're in Sport+ throttle setting and S3 transmission setting.

2. The increased noise is actually a really good shift indicator. Driving on switchbacks, I'll often shift into 2nd and take full advantage of engine breaking on some of the hairpin turns. And with ASD on, you KNOW when you need to shift up, because your ears are in so much pain, you better do it before they burst. When I was driving along in our neighborhood with ASD off, I wasn't really paying attention, looked down, and I was already above 5000 RPM. Car's as quiet as a mouse with ASD off!

3. Again... fighter jet...

I suspect that I'll turn off ASD whenever I'm commuting or taking the kids to the grandparents or whatever. I'll keep ASD on whenever I'm doing my weekend warrior thing in the mountains.
Have you tried comfort setting on the freeway? My 2018 M2 becomes a different vehicle in comfort, pretty quiet....
Appreciate 0