View Single Post
      09-28-2015, 07:14 AM   #80
IS3andME
Major
Rep
Drives: Lexus IS300

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobloblaw View Post
Porsche's GT car chief said "“I’m not a believer in this horsepower monster, up, up, up, more, more, more,” he said. “For my personal tastes, around 500 hp is enough, because 700-800 hp calls for bigger brakes, sturdier suspension. It gets heavier and heavier logically.”

"The horsepower war is over," declares Volker Mornhinweg, head of Mercedes-Benz's performance division AMG.

AMG says that it will now focus on a lower emissions strategy for all future models. Mornhinweg says the tuner will pursue technologies that create improved performance and economy by reducing curb weight and optimizing engines and transmissions.

And the 600hp BMW cap you mentioned. You're right though, whether they put their money where their mouths are remains to be seen. I think it will take a few generations, when cars get lighter with cheaper carbon fiber production.
Yep, Porsche GT chief did say that. Forgot about that. And what Mecedes said.But this is the German car Marques talking. I don't believe anything they say.
Especially when the Cadillac CTS-V has 640 hp. Now, you KNOW BMW M and Mercedes AMG will try and leapfrog that with the next M5 and E63 AMG, respectively
The next GT3 could have more than 500 and also be lighter. Think about it, the Mustang GT350/R has a 520 Hp naturally aspirated flat plane V8. And the car is not as light as the GT3, but it is getting noticed by the press.

And Mercedes, please. They could be saying that just to dupe the competition.
When push comes to shove, especially when the shove comes from rivals like the Americans, the Germans will up the ante.
Appreciate 0