View Single Post
      03-19-2020, 09:27 AM   #6
tux2005
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

The clubs I've run with have always allowed current Snell rating and the previous, so I started doing HDPEs in 2016 and they always allowed Snell 2010 and 2015 rated helmets. I rented a helmet for my first event and then bought one and even in 2016 there were lots of places still selling the SA2010 rated helmets.

I don't remember seeing major discounts for the SA2010 helmets but it definitely did seem like the old stock was slow to sell. I did choose to buy the current SA2015 rating so that I'd have the longest possible life out of the helmet now.

From what I've read and heard, the rating is important but use of the helmet is also key in whether it is still going to be as effective. You should never drop a helmet, drops can do non-visible damage which would make the helmet less effective, the same goes for any impacts during use. Also just sweat and UV are going to have some impact on the materials used in the helmet and could affect the fire retarding effectiveness. The rule-of-thumb I've heard is that a helmet rated within 2 generations is fine but after 5 years of use the helmet may/should be replaced too.
Appreciate 1
gphung193.50