Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Vroom

Garage List
2016 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hshot_rooke View Post
Anyone know if the new model will work the same?
https://www.amazon.ca/Vgate-Support-...ds=vgate+icar3

It's a vGate iCar3 instead of the vGate iCar2. Newer model and a couple of bucks cheaper than the iCar2.
I can confirm iCar3 works with Bimmercode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Em-too View Post
I personally haven't tried it but for what it's worth the app and the website specifically call for the vgate 2 which uses wifi vs Bluetooth to communicate with your phone. In doing some research there are several comments about Bluetooth connection not being as reliable as wifi when it comes to coding (e.g. You don't want a dropped signal when sending the updated coding information to your car). I didn't want to take a chance on something like this to go wrong.
iCar 3 has a wi-fi version that works with the app.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivideBYZero View Post
The Version 2 is recommended by the developer and is a great device. iOS and Bluetooth connections can be flaky.

Put it this way: Would you want to put any of your ECUs in your car into a lock-out state that means a trailer trip to a dealer to reset for the sake of $2? That's what I thought. Buy the V2.
Never had lockout issues with iCar3. The issue you describe could happen with iCar2 as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hshot_rooke View Post
Yeah, the iCar3 has both a BT and a Wifi one. The one I linked to is the Wifi one, I'm assuming it should be compatible.
It is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ried View Post
You don't want version 3. It lacks the on/off button that version 2 has. They made it cheaper to save money.

Version 3 is simply a cheaper product to make than version 2 (thus higher profit margins for the manufacturer).
I have 3 and it works perfectly. On/off switch is irrelevant in this situation.
Appreciate 0