Drives: BMWs

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post

Which makes you wonder why they ever sold a 1 series as coupe only In the US and not a compact sedan variant first !

It use to be so simple E30/E36 2 doors, 4 door and convertibles and M cars were 2 coupes (I think this is correct). Then w/the E36 they started selling M in 4 door and convertibles. I never liked that. Then the M5 came out and it seemed simple. M car = coupe, if you wanted 4 doors buy a M5.

Then I thought BMW cleaned it up and said odd number = 4 doors and even = coupe/convertible. Which to your point I thought the 1 series would be the 4 door compact/entry level car for families.

Then BMW introduced grand coupes. Not sure of the timelines but to me, who was not paying much attention to the market appeared to be a answer to MB rather than an answer to a consumer need/want.

Then we have the touring hatch back things. Not really sure why they exist.

Guess this is what happens when Marketing runs the company w/o input from parts and logistics. I can't imagine the money they would save in inventory, shipping and manuals, etc. buy simplifying the lines, but what the hell do I know.
Appreciate 0