View Single Post
      10-30-2018, 03:30 PM   #314
Gatte
Major
Rep
Drives: anything with 4 wheels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmosMpower View Post
I don't get your premise that the GT4 doesn't need fancy internals. It's supposed to be a track ready car. Porsche simply cheaped out if they reuse the 991 3.8 instead of detuning the 4.0.
How would you propose they de-tune the 4.0 with all the same internals and the dry sump ??

If it is just a tune, there will be tuners who will quickly find a way to get it back to GT3 power levels. Even if Porsche limited the redline on the 4.0L GT3 engine to about 8000 RPM, it would still be making a lot more power than 420 HP. If they limited the intake, again it would be a very easy aftermarket fix. Even with just the rumored 420 HP to 430 HP, the car should be able to keep up with cars that make significantly more power and cost quite a bit more as well. It should also be quite a bit faster than the 981 GT4 so I am not sure why you want the 4.0L if the 3.8L is able to get you what you need. If it is just so you can feel good knowing that the engine is the same as in the GT3, that's definitely not a valid reason.

Now, think about it from an economical/marketing point of view. Why would Porsche spend a lot more money on fancy internals, dry sump and artificially limit it's performance. That extra cost would indirectly or directly transfer over to the customer. Instead of the car being priced under 100K $, it would now be close to 115K-120K $. At that price point, a new/young customer who wants to sample the best that the GT division has to offer will look elsewhere (Me included). Basically, what porsche is saying is that if you want the 4.0L GT3 motor, well.... Go get a GT3.

Now from a GT4 racing point of view, engine overhauls on a GT3 car and cost to run it are significantly higher than the GT4 series. Porsche wants to keep these costs lower so more and more race teams opt for Porsche over it's competitors. Based on what I've read, the current GT4 Clubsport is significantly more reliable and consistent on track days than the competing ferraris and mclarens. Porsche has always been known for this. People rarely complain about heating issues and the resulting performance dip after a few laps on the circuit. It is a very capable track day car.

The fact that it does not get the 4.0L engine from the GT3 does not mean that it is not a car that you can take to the track. As a matter of fact, porsche GT car owners track their car more than anybody else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmboone25 View Post
It's too bad a detuned version of the new 4.0L F6 isn't going to be considered. The protection of the 911 is always at the forefront of Porsche's mind and strategy, but can you imagine how good that car would be?

Maybe their best product ever...
Now based on someone who was invited to Weissach to try the new GT4, there is another prototype that does have a 4.0L but that car apparently is not going to be made. For all intents and purposes that car is supposed to just be a figment of imagination.
Appreciate 1