View Single Post
      05-26-2020, 11:56 PM   #31
DarkstarZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Daytona 95 M3, X7 M50, e92 M3,

The point of this was not say buy or don't buy, just to provide my realistic view on initial depreciation and eventual appreciation.

I always encourage people to weigh depreciation when getting a car. If one bought a loaded M235 instead of a M2 because the M2 was just too expensive and then they sold the M235 after 2 years, the depreciation was higher on the M235 than the M2 - they would have saved money buying the more expensive car.

Doug spells this out well with his video on why you can't afford NOT to buy a Ford Raptor if you're looking for a truck and not expecting to keep it for life.

I don't know how long I'm going to keep my cars, it depends on if I fall in love with them. My F31 Wagon was originally a lease but I fell in love and at this point I'll probably keep it forever.

My friend is thinking about buying his first M car, something used, not too expensive. I told him to get a nice e46 M3 Manual ZHP. He'll get to enjoy it and it'll go up in value by about $100/month. When it comes time to sell, he'll be cashing out instead of taking a hit, win-win.
Appreciate 3
F87EVO4033.00
cptobvious2531.50
sdhotwn2128.50