View Single Post
      10-25-2020, 09:30 AM   #31
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

F87source all great points and glad you laid them out like this.

I’m not a tuner, but I’ve completed and have looked at thousands of logs all with different fuels, temps, conditions, hardware, etc. My day job is data & trends, which helps when reviewing even tho I’m not an SME in this case.

What I can say is there’s something inherently different in the latest gen OTS that allows them to react to the variables you’ve mentioned within the tune, whereas the custom tunes just aim for a certain amount of timing & boost. This of course assumes you have the right hardware and fuel for a particular OTS.

This process controls style approach vs pure timing/boost targeting is what is allowing the new OTS maps to create as much or more power as custom, while being smoother and safer.

Everything you said has been spot on for OTS vs custom until Halim reworked everything and went to the 5.8 maps for the M2. He’s definitely in a league of his own right now. FWIW, I don’t think it’s even possible for a custom tuner to be able to make maps like 5.8 in the editor, so they’re at a distinct disadvantage—but again, I’m not a tuner and can’t confirm.

Altho, if someone wants to go get a custom tune and go back to back vs one of the 5.8 maps on a Dynojet, let’s see it. I predict that if they get more hp, it won’t be much, and it’ll eat into timing or boost safeties, and won’t perform as good year round.

Last edited by ZM2; 10-25-2020 at 09:50 AM..
Appreciate 1
JKen_0115176.50