Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, 228i THP, E46 ZHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montaver View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer20 View Post
I look at the GTS 4.0 as basically a GT4 touring. It doesn't have the fancy suspension but everything else is there. Personally, there are three reasons I'm choosing a GTS rather than a GT4:

The GTS matches my usage pattern more closely, mostly street with 1-2 track days per year, and the roads around me are in bad shape.

The GTS is already near the top of my price comfort zone, and another ~15k would just be that much more.

I couldn't find a local dealer that would commit to giving me an allocation. If I could have, I would probably have ignored the first two reasons and gotten one anyway, but now that the 4.0 is out I'd rather have that car.
It has significantly narrower tires, on Pirellis compared to Cup2's. It's limits are certainly lower which may make it more fun on the street. It also lacks the GT4's aero, the bucket seat option (the current GTS doesn't have this option, I believe they do in Europe)and the suspension as you mentioned.
The extra ground clearance would be nice for street driving compared to the GT4.

It's a fantastic car and I would love to own one, but for my usage (15 or so track days per year) the fully fledged GT car would be the better option. The other unknown with the GTS is depreciation, traditionally GT cars are more certain to retain value. May be different for the GTS 4.0 though, time will tell.

If I was going for a 4.0 purely for the street I'd be more tempted to go with the Boxster, top down sound would be glorious and you give up very little in the way of rigidity or weight.
If I did even 5-6 track days a year I'd be leaning towards the GT4, so I can't blame you on that.

The GTS has been available with bucket seats in the US since MY19, so this car should have them too.