View Single Post
      11-08-2016, 10:07 AM   #10
Spinnetti
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Various

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilehighM3 View Post
After driving the M2 stock, stock with coilovers and brake pad upgrades and squared up with coilovers and a bbk, I'll take a squared up car over stock any day. Understeer is almost 100% eliminated and the front end grip is fantastic. Ready is obviously a great driver, but he's far from perfect. Ask him about a need for additional front end grip on pikes peak. Watching him bury a GTR in the hillside 100' off the road after failing to make a turn can't help but make me question his judgement at times.
He wouldn't be a great driver if it he didn't stuff it once in a while. Risk is how you get to that level of performance - in any activity, and the better you are, the finer the line between amazing and disaster and sometimes you go over the line; its the price you pay for trying to be the best.

As to the tires, this is an interesting one. I experimented on one of my race cars (V8 Lexus) and I went from 225 16's to 265 17's with 1.5" more rim width in the rear and I can't say it handled that much different (oversteered too much)... I lowered the rear spring rate a bunch (300 lb/in) and it was a little better, then lowered the rear pressures more and a little better still - wish I had run a square set up on that with 255's all around... Wide rears probably won't do too much unless you run them at really low pressures I'm guessing. Fatter fronts will actually give you more understeer, and slimmer rears may give you more oversteer, so could be a wash in terms of balance but with greater total grip. I'm thinking of running HR super sport springs, front camber plates set around -2 since its a street car and 265/18" all around, maybe with some spacers in the back (wider track is more stable and effectively lowers the rear spring rate due to a longer moment arm). Will be fun to find out.
Appreciate 0