United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by W///
Quote:
Originally Posted by stren View Post
Am I the only one bugged that before the car is launched there are already a bunch of pricey upgrades to it? I know this has been the trend for a while and it makes more sense to offer sporty upgrades to the non-m cars, but if these are for performance and the M2 is for performance, why aren't they the default parts? I get that some would add cost (like large pieces of CF), but others really wouldn't. Just feels like another exercise in squeezing more money out of the buyer and that really turns me off and reduces my brand loyalty...
Because these "sporty" options aren't for everyone. Have you guys actually heard the M-performance exhausts? They are pretty damn loud for something that is OEM if you ask me. And what about coilovers? You can't possibly say that an adjustable coilover is something that absolutely everyone would want (lower the ride height and make the car stiffer).

And then comes the cost. The M4 I drove had an M-Performance exhaust with CF tips. $4900

I'm all about choices. You pick and chose which options and accessories you want. Keep the car price low if you want, or load $30k worth of stuff on it. This is even more important on a starter M car like the M2.
I agree that it makes little sense to make these parts standard on an M2. But it sure would be nice to be able to choose them as a factory option rather than port install...the cost could be much lower. I would be much more likely to go for M Performance exhaust and coil overs if they were merely $1k-2k factory options, rather than $5k after the car is built.