View Single Post
      04-13-2019, 12:35 PM   #1
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

M2/M2C personal build threads: General, Bolt-ons/Tuning, Photos or Cosmetics forum ?

As moderator it happens to receive PMs about personal build (PB) threads: PB threads are moved from the general forum towards dedicated subforums. Subsequently, OP of a moved PB thread asks me to move back the PB thread to the general forum. And if I didn't move elsewhere a PB thread from the general forum, some ask me why 'PB thread X' still features in the general forum while their own PB thread was moved elsewhere in the past. Gotta inevitably disappoint some forum fellows.

So it's just a matter of 'pigeon-holing'. PB thread means of course that the car is modded, no longer stock. Difficulty is that there are several types of PB threads and that these get updated from time to time:
  • cosmetics and bolt-ons: some M Performance Parts, wrap, paint protection film, etc.;
  • tuning: more invasive surgery such as engine tuning/coding, suspension mods, different exhaust, etc.;
  • infomercials: use of a PB thread as something that got the look & feel of an 'infomercial' platform (the blurred line between informing enthusiasts about the existence of some aftermarket goodies, on the one hand, and promotion as part of a possible deal made with the one who supplied the aftermarket goodies, on the other hand) (quite peculiar: they mind the most that their PB thread is moved elsewhere - needless to say that the general forum gets most views).
Usually giving my best shot at being as fair as possible for all of you (got no commercial ties or interest whatsoever with BMW or aftermarket suppliers). I try to imagine where enthusiasts would normally first look (either now or in the future) for specific information that characterizes a thread. In the general forum threads get undersnowed pretty fast and it's quite vast and a pain to plow through during a search, so PB threads get bumped time and time again. I don't mind leaving a PB thread for a few days or weeks in the General forum before moving it to a subforum.

So let us all know your preference and comments.

For your convenience I post this poll only in the M2 general forum, though it also applies to the M2C forum (which only got 1 subforum).