05-29-2020, 03:45 PM   #10
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeyang92 View Post
Does trail-braking count as riding the brakes? I find that the only way I can brake hard and late is if I am trail braking to aid my turn in - otherwise, I would miss the apex. Obviously by the time I'm nearing the apex I'm just brushing the brakes to control load transfer, so I figure there's minimal heat generated by the brakes from doing that.
No, not at all. Load transfer to the front, so that the rear can rotate more after turn-in (trail braking), is not the same as riding the brake. The behavior I was referring to is starting to brake at the 5 marker at moderate pressure, bleeding off enough speed to enter the corner by the 2 mark, and still applying light brake pressure till turn in. I think it's a natural habit from street driving, which one has to train themselves out of at the track.

It takes me a good few laps before I start braking at the 3 or 2 marker and stay on throttle past the 5 and 4 markers. Self preservation instinct is still too strong early in the day.

Also if you're braking late chances are you need to brake past the turn in anyway, like you said. I aim to be just releasing the brakes past turn in, and be on throttle a little before the apex, then balance the oversteer with throttle.
2018 Camaro SS 1LE. Because race car!

"Redline a day keeps the mechanics away"

Last edited by 5.M0NSTER; 05-29-2020 at 04:07 PM..
Appreciate 0