08-14-2019, 03:12 AM   #4
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdss View Post
I asked the "genius" if he could change any of the settings in the car. Without hesitation he said absolutely not. Followed by "Changing anything other than what the iDrive system allows, will void your warranty."

Firstly... Fuck that dude.
Trust me on this, the "Genius" are nothing more than glorified sales people..

Real talk, I taught my Genius how to play DVDs in through the iDrive.. And how "LSD" wasn't just a hallucinogen he tried in college.

Their skill set doesn't past what they learned in a BMW training/marketing video. They're always going to err on the side on of safety 'cause they don't know any better.

Anyways, actual "coding" is writing and programming of new CAFD files in BMW modules. But "coding" in the Bimmercode sense is a misnomer. It's really just activation and disablement of certain features, by changing the values, within the already existing CAFD files.

There is nothing nefarious about it, other than the fact than some features are disabled by region, probably due to some archaic regulation.

I have Bimmercode and ISTA+ and from my experience, "coding" doesn't leave any trail in the module, other than the intended change.

Also, when ISTA is used by the dealer for changes, the log is saved in a BMW cloud-based databank and not within the ECU. Bimmercode or an illegal copy of ISTA, neither is connected to a server, so no footprint.

TL : DR As long as you have a rough idea of what TF you're doing, coding is safe.
Appreciate 5
cptobvious2531.50
msdss497.50
speedsnice1198.50
dtmurf480.00