View Single Post
      09-01-2017, 06:24 AM   #665
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyyrat View Post
I just looked through the document that Carbuzz mentioned.
Looks like there will be both MT and AT for Europe and the US for left-hand driven cars, but right-hand driven cars will be AT only.
Furthermore there is no mentioning of both a Competition and CS arriving (ZCP would be an option to the "normal" M2, so it's still possible) but a F87 Competition is mentioned. So no addition to the things we know, except right-hand driven cars will be AT only I guess.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmic Man View Post
What... RHD only?
Why would they do that?
I really doubt that's true and if that's really true I will be out of new M cars for good
I guess you refer to this excerpt on page 8 of that list (leaked over here at Bimmerpost a half year ago: http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1358847):

Name:  M2_Codes_Early17.png
Views: 778
Size:  78.0 KB

Let's not jump too quickly into conclusions. The list (date unknown - maybe the version of last Winter) seems to show codes of BMW classes, which doesn't necessarily mean that all referenced cars will ever be commercialized. Could be merely reserving for the sake of classification and/or labeling test mules that never make the final cut.

Look for example at the F82 M4 GTS: we only know of the M-DCT version:
  • 4S01,P,BMW PKW,4',F82,M4 GTS,COU,,,EUR,LL,RWD,2,AUT,,,,
  • 4S02,P,BMW PKW,4',F82,M4 GTS,COU,,,EUR,RL,RWD,2,AUT,,,,
  • 4S03,P,BMW PKW,4',F82,M4 GTS,COU,,,USA,LL,RWD,2,AUT,,,,
  • 4S91,P,BMW PKW,4',F82,M4 GTS,COU,,,EUR,LL,RWD,2,MECH,,,,
  • 4S92,P,BMW PKW,4',F82,M4 GTS,COU,,,EUR,RL,RWD,2,MECH,,,,
  • 4S93,P,BMW PKW,4',F82,M4 GTS,COU,,,USA,LL,RWD,2,MECH,,,,
And furthermore about interpretation, see also:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SickFinga View Post
DCT, SMG and manuals use the same type code. Automatic with torque converter get the "auto" type code. The reason why you see both type codes is just the way BMW structures the type codes. They are just reserved as placeholders. It does not mean there will be an auto version.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ynguldyn View Post
1. Most models get both MECH and AUT typcodes - this means NOTHING.
2. Every new version of this file adds typcodes, but also deletes typcodes. The fact that you see something in just a single version of the file means NOTHING.
3. In many cases in the past, a model would show up in this file, then prototypes would start driving on the roads, then some of them would even be shipped to Woodcliff Lake for final eval - and then the market would get NOTHING.
IMHO if the 2U71 (EURO-spec LHD M2 CS) gets 6MT, then the same will happen for 2U72 (EURO-spec RHD M2 CS).

2U73 is the USA-spec LHD M2 CS (USA and Canada: pre-LCI M2 sales were >50% 6MT) (see here for some stats).