View Single Post
      03-22-2020, 08:23 AM   #158
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Fifty View Post
Quick question, which I concede might be missing the point: If the problem is cooling and it's preventing you from running a full track session, why not detune the engine so it generates less heat? By all means keep the enhancements that aid cooling, but take everything else off.

You won't have the enhanced top end and acceleration you crave, but you might be able to drive it as hard as you want for an entire session (noting the usual advice about a couple of cool-down laps).
Agreed.

When it comes to cooling you have two options: more capacity to remove the heat or generate less of it.

For me, I want to see the impact of my upcoming E45 tune. I’m thinking the outcome will be more power and similar temp issues on hot summer days. If I break down how to address this:

IAT- M2 version of the Evo III Comp if it ever comes out, or WMI.

Coolant- I already have the larger CSF & do88 main and aux radiators. I’m going to talk to my mechanic about running 100% water with some wetter in the summer to improve thermal transfer. The question will be at what point will the water start to boil based on system pressure. And, I’ll use the BM3 max cool mode, but that might only buy me an extra lap from some additional precooling.

Oil- I already have the larger CSF oil cooler. Tyspeed and some other race car guys put a larger oil cooler in front of the radiator and remove the oil/coolant cross flow exchanger. I’d prefer not to do this bc it has implications for a winter driven street car.

Turbo- A larger turbo at the same power levels will generate less heat. Altho, it will have more lag for street driving.

Tune- Turn it down to generate less heat. Certainly the cheapest & easiest fix. Altho, I’m still in an annual track battle with my Uncle and his Turner Motorsports prepped supercharged 2009 M3 (650-hp, full BBK & suspension, aero, etc).

We’ve been able to cut our CMP track times by >6-sec in our last three annual battles while remaining neck & neck by upgrading and optimizing our setups each year, which is really pretty amazing. This year I’ll have more power, 30lbs less rotational & unsprung from my new wheel/tire combo, and I’ll sneak remove the back seat before I show up, so if we get into the 1:44s on CMP, that’s damn fast for a heavy street car that’s not on slicks—especially in the summer!

If I weren’t battling a 650-hp car (albeit, much heavier, and I get him under braking and corner entry) in the middle of a South Carolina summer, there’d be less focus on power and heat management.

Hell, one of the guys with a tuned M4 was having to dial back his power bc of heat issues. So, we’re not being slouches on track.

The car runs fine for long open track sessions when ambient is <80F, I’m just enjoying trying to figure out how to make it work in the most extreme conditions, as well.

Last edited by ZM2; 03-22-2020 at 10:12 AM..
Appreciate 1
PLF693766.00