View Single Post
      10-16-2020, 06:17 PM   #123
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by george.ax View Post
Might be my imagination, but I'm perceiving some commonality in the imperfections on the vehicles shown on this board and in some of the reviews. Majority seem to be in the middle of the roof (front-to-back), close to the edge (L-R), and generally running "long" (high aspect ratio) L-R rather than squarish or random blotches.
Quote:
Originally Posted by medphysdave View Post
Looks to be a very similar defect in approximately the same location? It's really strange. I hope one day BMW records a bit about the challenges and what we are seeing as "defects" in the roof.
Quote:
Originally Posted by medphysdave View Post
My further 2cents about the construction. Watching the CFRP roof creation video you will notice similar defects in the standard carbon roof. These defects are present until the material is placed under a large press. The M2CS roof with its "honeycomb" center structure would/could not go through the same pressing process. It this process that stretches the material and removes the defects from loose regions in the material. The M2CS roof is likely handmade for a large part of the process and would need a special tool to stretch the material and sandwich the center structure without destroying it at the same time.
Try stretching out a net so that all cross sections are equal. Similar concept with a course woven material. If it gets stretched too much in any direction it can sometimes be very difficult to undo. Align the best you can and spray it with a ton the clear, or tinted clear like mentioned previously.
I think we are seeing ripples in the fabric from not lying perfectly flat or not being cut to take into account the final curvature of the panel. Try nicely wrapping a ball with a piece of notebook papar
Affirmative. Imperfections reported so far: looks like a pattern (no pun intended).

On the M2 CS on display in Los Angeles (Autumn 2019), there were also some 'raclette' sections closer to the windscreen:
Name:  M2_CS_CFRP_Roof_05.jpg
Views: 653
Size:  148.4 KB