View Single Post
      10-16-2020, 05:33 PM   #122
AxM2CS
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E28 535i >E39 528iT >E39 540i6

Quote:
Originally Posted by medphysdave View Post
My further 2cents about the construction. Watching the CFRP roof creation video you will notice similar defects in the standard carbon roof. These defects are present until the material is placed under a large press. The M2CS roof with it's "honeycomb" center structure would/could not go through the same pressing process. It this process that stretches the material and removes the defects from loose regions in the material. The M2CS roof is likely handmade for a large part of the process and would need a special tool to strectch the material and sandwich the center structure without destroying it at the same time.

Try stretching out a net so that all cross sections are equal. Similar concept with a course woven material. If it gets stretched too much in any direction it can sometimes be very difficult to undo. Align the best you can and spray it with a ton the clear, or tinted clear like mentioned previously.

I think we are seeing ripples in the fabric from not lying perfectly flat or not being cut to take into account the final curvature of the panel. Try nicely wrapping a ball with a piece of notebook papar
You're undoubtedly on the general right track in describing the issue. Root cause analysis would probably suggest the manufacturing process wasn't fully fleshed out with the design approval. Wonder how much custom tooling (mandrels etc.) was required for this one-off roof design - or did they reuse tooling having similar/identical shape and dimension requirements for F87?

Even this limited-run vehicle will realize gross receipts in the ballpark of $200M USD - not a big account for a mass-producer of cars, to be sure, but not chump change either.
Appreciate 0