Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmhl10 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
in theory, one would assume they would summons their highly knowledgeable "Master Technician" for an intricate job like this but from want I've learn, in practice, anyone clocked in for work, that has a minimum of a ASE certification and read a shop manual, gets the ticket that day. It's a roll of dice, the foreman uses the manpower he has..
The dealership I worked at didn't care at all if you stayed ASE certified or not. Actual BMW hands on training never really happened for anyone that was under 60+ flag hours a week
Thanks for your feedback and contrary to what some might assume, I'm fully aware how how many rungs up the ladder the a service tech are required to climb, in order to earn their wings and how typical service repair is assigned.

Franchise dealerships hire, train and tier their employees depending on their prior experience and expertise.

The most popular training program for aspiring, entry-level BMW techs is a class called BMW STEP (Service Technician Education Program).

Which is a seven month course that specialize students repairs BMW vehicles ranging from the 2 Series to the M cars. Right out of technical college, with just a ASE certificate, you can enter this program and be hired as a full time dealership service employee.

There are different levels of the STEP program; one is a natural seven month course, which I previously mention, being considered the most prestigious and train the students to be on their way to earn their "Master Technician" credentials.

Other and current techs with prior mechanical experience can earn their master technician title, in a shorter time period, by accomplishing an abridged version of STEP, called STEP2, in less than eight weeks.

Either way, the ultimate goal for all is the higher designation, a increase pay grade or take their newfound talent to an independent field.

Regardless, most dealership are like a revolving door; employees start on STEP on, earn their experience and move to greener pastures. Master Techs are far and few in-between and are usually on call for when a "STEP 1" employee needs assistance with a complicated job.

However, are lion share of work is allotted to STEP 1 techs. Not that they necessarily lacks experience but because their is abundance of them available. Which, as a result, are more than likely going to be the ones that are going be R&Ring your roof..

More information on this subject is here:

https://www.bmwstep.com/about-bmw-st...-requirements/
Appreciate 0