Remonster
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRobUSC View Post
Two observations from the article.

1) BMW should offer a Sport Cup 2 tire option on the M's. Even if no consumers would actually order an M5 with them, that way they can supply those to the magazines for these tests so they'd be on equal footing with cars like the AMG GT and Quadrifoglio.

2) "This M5 is not playful. Or nimble. Or light."

"The handling and grip of this 4628-pound machine [AMG GT63 S] foster total confidence."

The AMG GT63 S weighs 4628lbs. Obviously the M5 must weigh more, right? Nope. 4241lbs. Yet somehow C&D manages to call the M5 heavy in the first 9 words, while not just ignoring the extra 400lbs in the AMG, but practically treating it as if it somehow helped the performance. The upcoming M8 Gran Coupe will likely fall around 4400lbs, and I'm calling it now - you can expect to read "this car is heavy" near the top of all the reviews despite it likewise weighing less than the RS7 and GT63 S and whatever else might be in the class at the time. Because somehow current BMW weights are compared only to BMW's from 20 years ago and Porsches, and Mercedes weights are compared to... I don't even know who. Naval vessels? Apparently as long as the other brands weigh less than battleships, they're good.

The M5 might not be light, but 4241lbs makes it the lightest vehicle in its class. Put it on Sport Cup 2's and it would probably equal the AMG GT63 S times, and you'd have $66k in cash leftover for an actual track toy, or for an X5 to haul your family and track toy to and from the track.
I’m with you but if you haven’t driven the AMG, you should try it. Even the E63S feels a lot lighter while driving it than you might imagine. I think it’s a result of the very stiff suspension, no rear subframe bushings, etc. but that heavy bitch will DANCE. Very impressive and surprising compared to all previous generations of E class AMG.

Out of the two, the E63S felt more agile and light on its feet to me while the M5 was a bit softer and slightly squishier.
Appreciate 4
JeremyDFW458.00
stein_325i25064.00
clee1982797.50
6ixSpd6011.50