View Single Post
      04-11-2020, 12:31 AM   #39
Bass_Masterson
RIP E39
Rep
Drives: 95 T/A, 08 GL450, 20 M2C 6MT

Previous manuals (cars) I've spent time driving: 1992 Chevy Lumina Z34, 1995 Pontiac Trans Am, and 1997 540i. M2C actually feels a lot like the 540. Light clutch with a weird feeling assist, awkward delay valve, and a rubbery, but accurate shifter.
Clutch needs to have a heavier pedal and consistent travel resistance. I really don't like how it is firm then eases up part way down. On my 540 I removed the spring assist assembly and it helped considerably. I haven't peeked under my knee bolster yet on the M2C. With the M2C clutch delay valve removed it makes a HUGE difference. Friction point is always in the same spot. I can get smooth shifts at any RPM or clutch engagement speed. You don't have to buy a different slave cylinder. Just open the line at the slave and you can pull out the delay valve (it's a small metal orifice and a rubber ring). I was considering getting the Ultimate Clutch Pedal, but now I don't think I will since the CDV removal. I have a ceramic composite clutch in the Trans Am, so obviously a totally different animal, but I wish the M2C was a little more harsh and precise with engagement.

Now, the shifter. Like many have said, it's rubbery but precise. I don't really hate it. It's basically a less worn version of what was in my 540. I have yet to miss a gear with it, but I would like something with a shorter throw and tighter feel. I have a MGW shifter on the Trans Am, and that's nearly unbeatable since it bolts onto the trans and actuates the shift rods directly. I know the M2C will never be that good, but a new shifter is high on my list. I replaced the rubber bushings in the Z34 shifter with metal, and that actually helped a lot. Maybe something like that would go a long way in the M2C. Just my thoughts.
Appreciate 1
baege1334.00