View Single Post
      05-02-2020, 08:12 AM   #13
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davil View Post
The 507 was a sales failure. Most limited edition BMWs are initially. But then things change. Not that I really care.
That recipe may have worked in the past, but something is changing: electric cars will dominate the market in a not so distant future. As time goes by, cities will further restrict access of petrol cars, or allow these for residents subject to some sort of hefty residence tax. Authorities will demotivate buying or keeping petrol cars. This evolution will reduce demand for older petrol cars, even if cars are considered 'special' (reduced market). Right now lots of old diesel cars have significantly dropped in value because they are no longer allowed to enter main cities.

So beware of using old recipes as reference basis for expectations in a changing future.

Of course this is about 'financial investment' (only few cars are a sound financial investment). If you got yourself your favorite automotive toy, rather consider it an 'investment in fun'. If driven by value preservation (keeping low mileage for better resale value), you will refrain from driving it, which is IMHO a pity: you deprive yourself the fun of regularly enjoying it. Personally, mileage has never influenced my driving behavior. If I want to go for a 5K km tour, I do it. "But increased mileage will reduce the car value" never crosses my mind. Enjoy it now that you still can, instead of missed opportunities regrets later.