View Single Post
      06-16-2018, 07:12 AM   #54
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smindustries View Post
I am comparing it cars that cost a lot more at present, but even compared to older BMWs, it's not good. The blue stitching isn't straight in several areas, the leather on the rear seat backs is wavy (I've seen that on every M2), et cetera. This is the only photo I have handy that shows the inattention to detail that BMW of old wouldn't have let through:

Yeah, I would have passed on all that crap, but I'm an impulse buyer and I bought what was available and convenient. I also had a Mk7 Golf R, and that was an appliance, but the interior was leagues better than the M2 in terms of both design and build quality.

My first car was a '76 2002, and I just sold a '73 a few months ago. I've had an E30 M3, E36 M3, E39 M5, E46 M3, and various non-M cars. The E46 was feeling big. The E92 felt massive and I couldn't do it. On paper, the M2 seemed like the secret sauce. In reality, I simply can't overlook the things I dislike. My wife drove it for the first time Saturday. When she got home, the first thing she said was, "Your car fucking sucks!" She dislikes the same things. Her daily driver is a Macan Turbo.

I daily drive my 911s. When I have one in the garage, I don't want to drive anything else because when I do, I'm constantly comparing it to a 911. I had a 997.1 GT3 RS that I put 35,000 miles on in two years. Other than the difficulty of finding snow tires, it was a lovely experience.

I'm in queue for a 991.2 GT3. I want a Touring, but due to NHTSA mandating reverse cameras, one can no longer order it with a radio delete. I'm pretty chafed about that because, like you, I don't want that crap in cars, however it's only going to get worse as autonomous operations are integrated.
My take is:

1. it was designed that way. I looked at mine it matches the bottom also, the way it is offset to the lcd screen lower line. All my buttons are consistent on both sides and the bottom insert. I have also looked a two other LCI cars and they are exactly alike across the board.

2. The fit and finish is great on the car, not worse or better than my 135, M235, M4 was....they are pretty much identical. I think BMW has it nailed.

3. You probably just have a difference of opinion with the BMW designers. Just remember they are obsessed with intricate details all the way down to the tone of that stupid "gong" I am sure these buttons were of their plan

4. I am glad you pointed out such a small detail, I never even noticed it considering there is so much other nice things to admire in the cockpit
Appreciate 0