02-27-2021, 05:41 PM   #177
warrenw
Food Critic
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 19 AW M2C, 21 M340i

Chapter 3

Schirmer GT wing + other bits

Thus starts the next chapter of the M2C build.

If you asked me a year ago if I'd ever do aero, I'd say absolutely not - but here we are! I was really looking for something more aggressive to complete the rear of the car but I wasn't sure what to do. I didn't want to do M Performance because it's just so small, but the other side of the spectrum wings were too big. When I saw the Schirmer wing in person I thought "if I got a wing, it'd be this one!" But the problem was, they didn't really sell parts outside of Germany. Bummer!

Then all of a sudden they're working on an online store, the tease it mercilessly for like 4 months, then finally it's open!

And shipping is 600 euros.

So I decided to figure out another way to get the wing without paying 600 euros but nothing really worked. I went back and forth for at least 2 or 3 weeks on if it was worth 600 euros in shipping... And then I decided it was, so I hopped on their site, put the wing in the cart, went to check out...

And shipping dropped to like 299 euros.

Taking that as a sign, I immediately bought it and it arrived at my house about a week and a half later.

I wanted to round out the look of the car, so I bought two more things - I got a Turner skid plate (Which you won't see, but I got it because it's less bulky than the Fall Line I had) and a Lightweight front lip. Can't have a wing without a front lip.

So I got everything in order, threw it in the car, then took it to get installed.

Being the terrible photographer that I am, I completely forgot to get a picture of the Turner skid plate installed. I'll get one in a few weeks when the car is back on the lift. But I will say this - direct fit piece, no modifications required, and I wouldn't hesitate to buy it again!

Now the Lightweight lip... somehow the lip for the M135i made its way into a M2C box so... That didn't get installed and it'll be a few weeks as I sort that one out and get a new one.

Side note: exhaust is coloring in nicely!

On to the main topic!

I was incredibly apprehensive to drill into the trunk. But in the end, with money, you can always go back. So we took the plunge.

So final verdict -

It's a really well made piece. I think it's the perfect size to fit the M2 and is able to display a level of aggressiveness. I just installed it so I haven't had a chance to test out the performance but I'll be at the track next month to test it. I am not a track warrior but I am definitely anticipating a 50% reduction in my lap times by having this piece installed.

Interesting note, the side plates are thicker with this newer version of the wing than the original Schirmer GT wing. There is also an additional hole in the end plates, which either acts as weep hole for the wing or it's for additional adjustment of the end plates... Either way, that's another difference between the original and the current one on sale.

I am happy that the level of aftermarket support and development is this high for the F87 chassis. I think a lot about what my next car will be, as I won't be keeping the M2 forever... But every time I try to think of a replacement, it's with a car that's double or triple in price. So I made a promise to myself that I'm keeping the car for two more years, minimum.

smknjoe234.00