Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
I also pictured a day where when you opted for a manual, the clutch pedal operation became optional but that ship already sailed; as the manual transmission is on its way and frankly, I'm surprised it survived this long.

BMW, Porsche, and Aston Martin are the last luxury-sport manufactures left to offer a manual transmission option and they're just pandering to the few holdover, niche consumers left, before the the third pedal is extinct.
I just can't get myself to use these DCTs in manual mode. Maybe I need more time in them, but I can do it for a while and then I'm like, ah forget it, auto it is. I also notice I've never really enjoyed manual shifting in driving games. I don't know if it's the clutch really - maybe it's just the knowledge that shifting is an absolute need and there is no other fallback. I think physical / tactile feedback is key and why shifting with these little switches that try to approximate a shift linkage fails for me.

I've never driven SMG, but I wonder what it would be like to drive a system that had no automatic mode and how that would force me to behave.
I know exactly what you mean, I must of been through 30 different loaner cars with lighting-fast shifting and paddles.

The shifting speed is not the issue, it's playing with buttons get boring soo fast. I'm always thinking in the back of mind; 'Cool but the computer can do a much better job' and just leave it in auto and save some gas.

I tried the paddles with an open mind but just like I would get no pleasure from kissing a guy, because it's just not my thing, I getting nothing from a transmission with paddles. Sorry, I like the stick.

However, when the time comes and I have give up the third pedal, I'll go without a fight but as long as BMW offers one, it's stick to clutch

Not knocking anyone that opts for the DCT, I respect your opinion and choice, as much as you should mines.
Appreciate 0