View Single Post
      11-16-2020, 11:41 AM   #134
dvas
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 - Mineral Gray, 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by pal View Post
You clearly have some great car control, but watching that video it seems your hands are quite busy, esp. through Big Bend and West Bend. Almost felt like you were fighting oversteer a bit. Or was it just you trying to drive it at the top of tire mountain and exploring the other side?
I like the car a bit on the loose side, it's easier to control and a lot less annoying than an understeering setup. But you're right, that day did require some busy handwork. I could have softened the rear a bit that day towards more neutral handling.

I had a TCR Touring Car Champion, and close friend, drive my car on track and he also suggested softening the rear/hardening the front. I did that by only a few clicks and the car started to understeer badly so I had to back it off a bit to get somewhere in the middle. But this type of setting is really only good for that moment in time when you are really trying to drive at the limit of grip everywhere. As ambient temperatures, track temps, tire temps and condition, etc. changes, so does the need to adjust the suspension settings to compensate. Given that I don't have a crew and am a bit lazy to tinker all day to get that perfect setting, every spring I get new rubber, corner balance/align and find a setting that generally works (unless there is severe weather changes) and just compensate for the rest by driving around it.

Having said that, taking a corner fast requires some meaningful slip angle and slide. Having done many, many days in my M2 and previous cars, I'm comfortable sliding it out a bit. Plus it's fun when you get it just right with a tiny bit of oversteer correction at the exit.