View Single Post
      10-10-2019, 05:56 AM   #27
SeanWRT
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 & F87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowflash21 View Post
So the issue was that he wasn't running upgraded HPFP?
Irrelevant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZM2 View Post
Good input as always SeanWRT

How far would you push the Dinan turbo before it's out of its efficiency zone and generating too much heat?

I'll likely upgrade the HPFP so I can reliably run E30-50, and get a dyno tune to go with it, before upgrading the turbo to something larger than the Dinan.

Although, I'm already generating too much heat on 90F+ track days and have to start driving the car easier after 10 laps to bring oil & coolant temps back down. Would a larger turbo really have much impact in reducing heat in the 18-20psi range?

Thanks!
The heat you're seeing with your car is at the cold end where compressor is working inefficiently hence more heat, reflected by IAT.

The failure I was talking about is from the hot end, where manifold/turbine housing is very restrictive and makes more back pressure and heat than turbine can take.

Larger turbine normally allows for less backpressure. But it's impossible to quantify the reliability (life circle / psi). Even if there was a probe there (in fact there is not), extensive testing is required but no one from aftermarket does that.

I don't know about the reliability at 18~20psi with STG2, but I'm sure you'd be happy with such a setup (E30+HPFP+PS2). However, 18~20psi is a tricky boost level. On one end, pump gas can't keep up. On the other, Ethanol and meth can support more. Very few really stays there, because reliability isn't normally one of the priorities when he/she is already there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natek View Post
Sean,
What are we seeing in that photo? Oil blow by on the compressor?
What you're seeing is the turbine breaking to stress fatigue. Pressure and Heat combined are what stresses it.