09-12-2019, 11:06 PM   #9
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
I not sure about the legality of an aftermarket downpipe but I do know installing one voids your entire powertrain & emission section of your warranty coverage.

In fact, some dealers would strait up refuse to work on a vehicle with an aftermarket downpipe, if the problem seems reasonably related to the modification.

Also, all major emission control devices and ancillaries (catalyst, turbos, ECU, etc) are extended for up to 8 years or 80,000 miles mandatory manufactures coverage.

So you're pretty much throwing that extended coverage out the window by tampering with the catalyst.

Well it actually can't legally void your warranty unless the part was deemed to have directly caused the issue, you guys in America have the magnuson moss warranty act to thank for that, for Canadians it's the consumer protection act. So likely they can't really deny warranty for anything due to a downpipe, since the downpipe is just a hollow piece of metal, it's the tune that comes with the downpipe that will likely cause some issues.

In my opinion if you want to mod the car you have to be prepared to accept the risks associated with said modifications and not depend on the warranty for replacements, and that being said that is generally the mindset of most enthusiasts. Again this all comes down to risk tolerance in the endless search for performance, some people are able to tolerate said risk some are not.

An 8 year extended warranty is pretty much useless if it pertains to parts that limit performance, why would you want to replace a catalytic converter if the whole point was to delete it to gain performance. I highly doubt a turbo is covered under the warranty as it has nothing to do with the emissions system, if a turbo is covered so should the cylinder head, it's pretty much the same logic if you think a turbo is covered then everything that has to do with the exhaust gas must be covered. If that was the case every N54 guy should have had their turbos replaced for waste gate rattles up until 2018. Either way turbo warranty for 8 years to a serious enthusiast is already way too long as it would have already been upgraded. Ecu I doubt it, as long as it doesn't throw a fault code for the emission system like O2 sensors or obd2 readiness then it won't apply for that extended warranty.

Likely this emissions control device warranty only applies to the catalytic converter and O2 sensors.

So in essence if you're willing to get a downpipe for performance the warranty means nothing to you.