Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by c1pher View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
I don't have the sales numbers, but in my anecdotal experience I have seen far more F82 M4s than I have F80 M3s. It's not even close.
To be fair, BMW could have hit a home run with the M2 right out of the gate but chose not to. They could have put the S55 in from the start and given it an adaptive suspension (at least as an option). And they could have worked on the steering rack a bit more. I can’t speak for the M2CS, maybe they improved that part. I mean a Golf R has adaptive suspension, BMW couldn’t work that in? I think the problem with the M2 is that BMW saw it as a poor man’s M4 Coupe instead of what people really wanted was ALL the M4 parts in a smaller, lighter package. Of course the problem with that is then you just buy the M2 instead of the M4 so I get it.
I think part of it is just classic sales strategy. The M4 is in a higher "class", so if the M2 had everything the M4 had, you'd cannibalize M4 sales.

Plus, if the M2 had all of that out of the gate, there wouldn't be the noticeable improvements we've seen between M2, M2C, and M2CS that has justified price increases and really made each version unique to its predecessor.

In other words, I get it.

But I still think to this day the OG M2 is the best bang for the buck, and I'm glad BMW went the route they did so I could get into one of the best M cars ever made for relatively little money
Appreciate 0