View Single Post
      12-05-2019, 08:56 AM   #1160
MartyE12345
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp AW, S2000

CarPlay Free? BMW still wants me to pay

I figured I’d share my experience when I called BMW today. I bought my M2 Comp in Aug 2018. I really like using CarPlay, I moved back to the east coast recently and had my car stored and never got around to renewing CarPlay. I saw the news about the subscription being free so I figured I’d give a call today.

I spoke with customer relations. She had said she could make CarPlay Free indefinitely as long as I was a current Apple CarPlay subscriber.... Since mine ran out in August she had said I would need to pay the 300 to get it indefinitely.

BMW wants to charge you so they can give you the subscription for free? I think they started the subscription service for 2019 models so it probably doesn’t affect a ton of people that have already had their 1 year trial expire. She said if I was in the trial period still, she could make it indefinite for free. If you are in the 1 year period and want to extend it for free, I would give them a call. With them asking me to pay 300 dollars, that doesn’t sound good for people who paid 300 looking for a refund?

I didn’t want to pay the 300, they transferred over to BMW assist. They had told me something slightly different and pretty much said they have not gotten any official confirmation or communication. She said they would reach out to people. However, she did say that there are issues with ordering CarPlay and they are issuing 1 month free goodwill to people due to the issues. It didn’t appear there was an option for the yearly subscription any longer only a 20yr (when I went into my idrive only a 20yr showed up as well)I took them up on the offer for a free month. I may try and call back the first woman I spoke to who was ready to pull the trigger and give it to me indefinitely as long as I had a subscription.

It sounds like they will only be offering lifetime subscriptions to current holders and see had said they would be reaching out to “subscribers”

If you like CarPlay and currently don’t have it, I would try to get a free month and hope some updates come out shortly. Otherwise, you may have to pay to get it and then they make it “indefinite”. Hopefully more details come out soon, it sounded like there were mixed messages.
Appreciate 1