View Single Post
      06-25-2019, 07:07 AM   #11
LuvMyE92
Occasionally frequent poster
Rep
Drives: CT5V-Blackwing

As others have noted, a dyno test with the hood open does not replicate what happens in the real world with the intake sucking in hot air from the engine compartment. That's thought #1.

Thought #2 is that BMW engineers do things for a reason. They are not dummies. Maybe that reason is something that you don't care about (intake noise, engine longevity, etc.) but they just don't do things a certain way for the heck of it.

Thought #3 is the most important, and I'll explain that with an anecdote:

Many years ago I was at the track talking to a guy who worked for Ford SVT. He had worked on the Lightning project, IIRC. I asked what he thought about K&N and other such filters, and why they are not OE. He replied that Ford [and all manufacturers] spend millions of dollars to get the maximum horsepower out of their engines. "If a different filter would make a difference, don't you think they would be using it?"

In my mind, the same applies to all of these "cold air intakes" which are, if you think about it at all, are actually the opposite. What they are is $12 of plastic that is sold for hundreds of dollars, making some guy very, very happy.
Past: E24,E28(3),E34,E36,E37,E38(2),E39(4),E46,E89,E92 (obviously),F01,F06,F10,F30,F87,G12,G30(2),G82(2)
Appreciate 0