09-13-2014, 12:14 AM   #59
paradoxical3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by damnitBobby View Post
your logic is skewed at best

gt3 is full bred sports car.. M3 is an all around car that you can live with daily and still track it on the weekends.. there have been a number of people trying to get this point across but some are incapable of understanding this concept so i will leave it at that

why did you stop at the 45k 1m pack? according to you i should go buy a civic, turbocharge it to where i can have bench racer stats to argue with people like you, and then say i saved money by buying a civic over a 45k 1m pack

Actually, he has a point. I have a X1 35i M-sport that was about $45k. The thing about these turbo engines that BMW is sticking in everything is that a $600 tune equalizes the engine in a $33k base X1 and a $65k 435i. And power output wise, with the new M3 and M4 (not throttle response as the S55 has inherent advantages over the N55).

My X1 is equal to the new M3 and M4 in a straight line (12.1 second quarter mile last year, now likely is high 11s) and faster around a track than the e92 M3 (1:44 around Mid-Ohio club course on 255 section street tires). I have 10 track days on it this year and have had zero issues whatsoever. Why? Because the drivetrain is the same as a 135i, 335i, m235i, 435i, 6 series, Z4, etc, etc. The e92 M3 suspension even swaps right in, subframe bushings and sway bars and all. And if you think about it, it's the exact same powertrain in a $65k 435i.

I am not ready to say it does not matter which BMW you buy, because that is obviously false. The M3 and M4 engine and chassis have benefits that you cannot simply mod onto an X1. However, BMWs cars are now so interchangeable it matters a heck of a lot less than it used to.

The S55 is interesting because there are advantages that you simply cannot get by tuning a lesser car. It's like how with the E92 M3 even though a modded 335i is faster, the throttle response and driving dynamics made it superior on the track.

But if the M2 uses a N55 engine, to me it is totally pointless. It is LITERALLY the same drivetrain in a X1. If you are interested in truly going fast, you would be much better served getting a M235i and using the leftover money to buy JRZ suspension and Stoptech brakes, while tuning the engine beyond whatever neutered power output BMW will restrict it to in order to protect the M4.

The only way a N55 M2 makes sense to me is if BMW makes extensive use of weight saving in the chassis design (CF roof, driveshaft, etc). These are things that you cannot cheaply address in a M235i through the aftermarket.

Last edited by paradoxical3; 09-13-2014 at 12:35 AM..
Appreciate 0