View Single Post
      09-30-2021, 11:17 AM   #39
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-Pilot View Post
Some comments in this thread lol... I went from 2016 M4C 6MT to 2019 M2 6MT and finally to 2016 Cayman GTS PDK (throughout this whole transition I have also had a 2001 Miata 5MT and still have it). CGTS is easily the most fun car I've owned despite not being a manual (and also the best sounding). I specifically looked for a PDK due to the tall gearing issue and initially was expecting to get bored after some time but I still love every second of it after owning it for over a year now. CGTS is a completely different animal when it comes to handling, feedback, agility and power delivery. It's NA so if you drive it like you drive a turbocharged car, of course you are not going to have the same experience especially in daily driving. The car loves to be at 5K-7.5K RPM range and even at spritied driving there are slow enough corners you have to downshift into 1st whereas you could easily be in 2nd without any problem in a car like M2C thanks to the low end torque. In other words, my CGTS demands a different driving style than my M2C did and I actually absolutely love it. Both my M4C and M2C had so much more power and torque but I much prefer driving experience of a naturally aspirated, midengine car. Do I miss my M2C? Yes, it was one hell of a fun car. I'm still a huge BMW fan and I would love to have an M2C next to my CGTS but I would never sell my CGTS to go back to an M2/M4 (or any M for that matter). I will probably add an M sedan to my garage for hauling the family and daily driving though.
To me, the tall gearing IS a big deal, enough so that I personally think the M2C/CS is more fun on the streets than the GT4. Is it as good of a car? Absolutely not, the 981 GT4 I drove was easily one of the most confidence inspiring cars I've ever driven. Everything from the brakes, the noise, the looks was sublime.

I cannot think of any enthusiastic driving that I do that would warrant going down to first gear unless I'm taking off or launching the car. All my M's, all manual, some straight 6, one V8, 3 of them NA, 1 turbo have all really good gearing (my only complaint is that 6th gear can be taller on the M2C).

When you are hooning the Porsche in the mountains, it's really not a problem as you can pretty much stay in 2nd and 3rd gear the entire time. But if you drive on the street 90% of the time, the excitement is just not there as much as it should be IMHO. Still a wonderful car though!

P.S. If heaven forbid I was no longer able to drive manuals (I'd be screwed at the moment because that's literally all I have), the 718 Spyder PDK would be way up my list personally.
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 2
inTgr8r2425.50
bobert858.50