Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBP1865 View Post
I'll ask for specifics when I go back to pick it up. I dropped it off complaining of some odd noises(groans and grinds), especially at low speeds when cold, when the body had some torque applied to it, often entering or exiting driveways or something similar, and whine at highway speeds. It also had bad right wheel hop when the tires were spinning, the side that all the noises seemed to come from. That I found out because I got nails in two brand new rear tires that were too close to the sidewall to repair, so figured I may as well get a little use out of them and make some smoke. Wheel hop was noticeable just doing a burnout and doing figure 8s.

Of course the dealership initially said, before they even looked at the car, that the diffs are known to make some noises here and there. The tech said just moving the car into the bay he could tell that some of the noises were not normal, did a lap around the area to see if he could get a better feel for what it may be, determined that it was definitely a problematic diff and put in for it to be replaced.

As far as it being on their dime, not entirely sure. It's a 2018 with just north of 40k on the odometer, which I'm fairly certain puts it out of the factory warranty. I have my own warranty on it which I was prepared to use to cover it, but my SA told me BMW was covering it when I dropped it back off when the parts came in. Perhaps just some lucky BMW good faith servicing?
I think that's the thing; the diff's are known to make noise, and known to wheel hop (mine used to but hardly ever does it anymore), so everyone is going to wonder exactly what it might have been that made them pick up the tab. Sounds like it was just an experienced tech that knew something wasn't right. Good on you bro!
Appreciate 0