09-24-2021, 06:36 PM   #30
Spydert
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI 6MT, 530i M Sprt Pckg

Quote:
Originally Posted by baege View Post
wow this post really hits home for me

I currently have a deposit on an allocation for a CGTS 4.0.

I've had 2 Cayman 981 S's in the past.

I currently have an M2C.

I like cars with good low end torque (I think my affinity for this started way back with fox body 5.0 mustangs I had).

My preference for low end torque has showed itself over the years, one clear example being my purchase of a mx6 with a torquey 2.5 v6 over a prelude with a vtec. The prelude was better looking, had a better manual and handled better, but it was weak in the lower rev ranges compared to the 2.5 v6.

Your review makes me seriously consider whether the 4.0 GTS is the right move for me. I always felt like the 3.4 caymans had decent enough low end torque, but that was before I had an M2. it may well be that the 4.0 compared to the S55 feels like the prelude did as compared to the mx6.

sounds like I need to drive a 4.0

and I really would like to hear your review of a 992S as compared to the 4.0, the size of the 992 makes me hesitate but it's something I've thought about.

I really think you should try to get a test drive on a road you know pretty well. You may like it after all. I didn’t really consider myself having much of a turbo torque vs NA power mindset and figured I enjoyed both. For instance I love how the Miata ND delivers its power even though it’s not much. The acceleration matches the revs, matches the sound, and the gear change point in the manual is almost always perfect. I was expecting similar (and maybe more) on the GTS. I’m not saying it’s not a better car, I’m just saying it was less enjoyable than I had imagined. I had to ‘think’ about it to enjoy it and that felt wired.

I also think the OGM2 in manual with its single turbo gets as close to an NA M car as one can get from BMW today and i think that made the engine closer in feel to the 718 for me in the low end (along with the fact that it also sounds great).

Regarding the 992, I absolutely loved that car. First drive and it was perfect. I actually went to the dealership that day to see about the 4 cyl 718 GTS cos it was being offered for 20 grand off at that particular dealership that day. But unfortunately (not sure for whom), I drove the 992 S first. The GTS felt meh to me after that. Maybe I like refinement in my cars more than I know. Lol.
Appreciate 1
baege1328.00