Thread: C8 vette vs M2
View Single Post
      02-13-2020, 12:40 PM   #17
LuvMyE92
Occasionally frequent poster
Rep
Drives: CT5V-Blackwing

My M2 replaced a C7.

I've had both on the track, in the case of the C7 it was a Z51 (basically a track package) on OE tires, stock except for brake pads.

I've also raced Corvettes in the past, so I'm very familiar with the platform. I've also done literally thousands of miles at HPDE in BMWs, so I'm familiar with them as well.

The Corvette is, hands-down, the best bang for the buck. That cannot be disputed.

In base form, it has adequate options and doesn't need anything. All of my cars were base, except for one (which was an upgraded interior, a waste of money) and my C5, which was a Z06. OMG.

But, you ask: Michael, you have a BMW M2 now. It cost you like $10K more than the C7 did, brand new. It's heavier, slower, and you can't pick up hot women in it.

OK, so let's get something straight. I've had more compliments from women on the M2 than on any Corvette. You know who likes Corvettes? Middle-aged men. And senior men. If that's what rocks your boat (and I'm not judging) then get a Corvette. If you want young women, buy a Jaguar XK. BTDT. But I digress.

The Corvette is low, hard to get into, harder to get out of, smells like a toy model plane and uses 80's technology for the infotainment center (although to be fair, it came standard with Android Auto, which BMW still hasn't done, AFAIK). You cannot see out of the back of it, there is no steering feel and the lateral support in the standard seats is a joke. It's also loud and moderately uncomfortable, but then so is the M2.

Everyone at work has been asking me when I'm getting a C8. I'm going to get a t-shirt that says "No, I am not buying a new Corvette" just to stop the questions. The short reason is simple: it only has two pedals. That's a deal breaker for me, right now.

The other reason is that you never buy a first year GM product. Everyone knows that. Also, demand will outstrip supply in the first year, and you'll pay a premium or at the least, MSRP. Wait a few years and you can get 10% off without breathing hard.
Past: E24,E28(3),E34,E36,E37,E38(2),E39(4),E46,E89,E92 (obviously),F01,F06,F10,F30,F87,G12,G30(2),G82(2)
Appreciate 2
tranck500.50
Moflow2484.50