View Single Post
      01-12-2020, 11:29 AM   #1
JCZ5
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 (G05)

2020 M2C vs. 2020 ND Mazda Miata

Background: I'm looking for a fun car to keep for the long term that will bring me driving joy away from the daily grind. I understand this is not your typical comparison due to type of vehicle or cost. But I will tell you, for me it is.

I don't necessary need a daily driver since I live in the city. However, I do take it to the mountains or a few road trips. Living in the city, it affords me the ability to use this as my fun toy. Also, I don't mind driving either vehicles in the snow as I will have the appropriate winter tires or just not drive if the weather is terrible.

Why Miata: it has been applauded by journalists and enthusiasts alike without any pretense to cost or judgement. It is truly a great drivers car and can be had for half the price of the M2C. In addition, it has many creature comforts and not necessary compromised. Not to mention the fantastic shifter and convertible aspect. Also, you can really have max fun without going to jail. Lastly, it is designed from the ground up as a sports car, unlike the BMW.

Why M2C: from the BMW perspective, this vehicle harkens back to what a true M use to be. Great performance and relative value. It has ample seating and space available, if needed. But like I said, space is not a huge requirement. It also has all the power you need, but granted you will have to rein in what you can do on city streets.

Disclaimer: I know there are preowned options such as a Porsche XYZ. But I'm looking to buy this new.

General thoughts: originally I was all on-board with the M2C. However, seeing ownership reviews of the Miata and how great this car truly is, it's really having me rethink everything. I can comfortable afford either, but the benefit of saving $25K+ with the Miata also can't be ignored. Especially, if it gets the same joy or same "miles per gallon" as people say.

Please let me know your thoughts based on my current use case.