01-25-2018, 06:02 PM   #30
NO_USER_
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by greasypeanut View Post
To answer the question on the subject line. If there was some cat cutting specific scissors then for sure I'd use them and make myself my own catless dp. Why spend $400-500 for someone who did what someone else mentioned, two flanges and a pipe welded together. If you disregard what a cat does for the environment (it's only purpose) , a catted dp is just going to slow down the exhaust flow. I've never heard of a high performance car that wants to slow that down. I've read a few people gut the inside of the mufflers for faster exhaust flow and not get the same flak this guy is getting.

What Brooke did seems very plausible with the right tools and knowledge. I do question his particular cat as he used a screwdriver, but he must have done a really good and careful job as he states his doesn't have an issue. I don't have the time nor the balls to use a screwdriver on my oem dp, that and my Wagner unit is working just fine.

My question for you guys is, as far as performance gains, if he was able to completely decat his oem dp, would there still be an argument about performance gains?
If he gutted it completely (removed both cats in the downpipe), then I don’t think it’d be any different than a catless downpipe. So no, no argument. I still wouldn’t do it as the inside of the downpipe may not be as smooth. But a catless downpipe costs $200-400, and you’d be out an additional $1200+ just to replace the stock downpipe when it comes time to smog/selling the car.

But he removed only one section of the cat (2 piece cat), and is comparing it to say a 200 cell catted downpipe you’d purchase, in that case a high flow catted downpipe would be better than this “mod”. Which is what everyone is basically trying to say.

He can do whatever he wants, everyone is just making sure no one else does this without knowing the risks. Along with his claims with nothing to back it up, isn’t fair to others reading this thread and potentially thinking about doing this.
Appreciate 0