View Single Post
      04-15-2021, 07:26 PM   #266
JustAWhisper
Private
Rep
Drives: 2003.5 M3, 2018 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean_Clevername View Post
Vegas CT BS lineup looked great, was eyeing the results last night. Seems like Supra/M2/M2C all have a shot this year. Will just come down to driver and prep.

Thanks for the thoughts on sways, mirrors my own experience in prior cars with dynamic camber loss. Will have to just swap it on and try it out. I definitely feel this car doesn't need more understeer, but transitional response will be crucial if Im able to register for the Finger Lakes Champ Tour. From videos it seems like that event is heavy on transitions. Shocks might be the best answer to be honest. You can valve them to give them good transitional response without sacrificing grip or overall balance. Or so Strano says, I know nothing of this sort of thing haha. Not a lot of off the shelf shocks available for the OG M2. Anyone know if the shock mounts are the same as other 2 series or are they from the F80?

FWIW locally I've had a couple events with Danny Kao in his 21 Supra (technically AS, but I'm not sure why it's bumped up vs the 20) on A052 (275 square). Both cars stock otherwise and I think the M2 has a slight edge TBH. Just for fun here they are side by side. I was late and picked up a +1 in the final slalom, but data says it actually cost me .2 from there through the finish vs my prior run so I still think my raw vs his clean run is an ok comparison.
The 21 Supra is in AS because it has about 50 more horsepower than the 2020 model. Toyota initially released with a lower horsepower number probably due to an agreement with BMW to not undercut the more expensive Z4, but since both cars are attracting completely different buyers it seems Toyota got permission to release with a higher number for 2021. The engine is exactly the same, but there does appear to be a different tune as C&D dyno'd both cars back to back and got a 43 hp difference.

As far as competitiveness between the two, it's well within driver noise. The Supra has the exact same front suspension and only a slightly modified rear suspension from the M2. It has slightly less weight and probably similar or slightly better rigidity. The 2020 with slightly less power (but also less turbo lag) is probably a good fit for BS. The 2021 with both less weight and more power is probably a good fit for AS.
Appreciate 0