Thread: Carbon Fiber ?
View Single Post
      01-05-2017, 06:23 PM   #16
josepi123
Rep
Drives: ///M2C - '20 - Forged Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mint View Post
There appears to be some sort of coating on the fibers. They're not conductive.
Now that you said that, its true, but I took a few pictures in order to clarify more this point, probably they are really helpful.

So as you can see I got the Carbon & Alcantara Trim Kit, now taking a closer look, on the last picture you can see it actually looks like its wrapped around the plastic part, which make sense, now the hard part is how to actually manage to get that matte dry carbon look, that's what I would like to do in order to make some interior parts like the back center console, as well as the plastic piece around the central A/C vents.

If you simply wrap the CF onto the piece with 1 thin coat of epoxy it's going to look shinny, and you will have the CF feel. But im wondering if you do a CF vacuum infusion probably its going to be super flat. and its going to have a wet finish.

I do have a few thoughts on how to do it, like applying a matte coat with just 1 super thin (Almost dry) coat of epoxy, as well as maybe probably just using glue "Super 77" and see how it looks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R0ME0 View Post
Any pics to share on your progress?
Yes, well Im making a Screwless Euro Front plate holder. Since I dont want to make holes onto my baby , but having the materials on hand I did a few tests, here are the pictures.

Now on these pictures, Its 2 layers of CF with 1 thin coat of epoxy on the top, so like I said before, it have the carbon feel, but it looks shinny. Anyhow for this piece I wasnt aiming at that anyways, and I did apply several extra coats of epoxy later on.

With the idea of giving a wet look like the other OEM carbon parts, Now the piece is not finish yet anyways :P but I will show it later.
EKG 1234.00