View Single Post
      12-01-2015, 02:39 AM   #22
chris5150
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 30 YR Jahre

It is an issue

Its a big issue Highland pete actually , the biggest issue is that if you press the limit button whilst at a stand still , the limit is set for 20mph, try pulling out of a junction when you need a bit of speed, yes mashing the throttle over rides it, but it splutters and takes a second or two, on top of that you need to react yourself, yes now I know its ok for me, but imagine your wife has borrowed your car, and inadvertently presses the limit button, then pulls out of a junction, unaware, very easy to panic etc
I can see clearly what I did now, I was at a standstill & pressed limit instead of M1 just before pulling out, I checked this last night and yep try it, your at a stand still, one press on the limit button and you have a 20 mph limit enforced, as I say yes when you know then mashing the throttle down over rides it, but this is not a natural thing to do for someone unaware of it
BMW has dropped the ball big time on this, putting a 'one press' limit button on a steering wheel with no 'confirm' required, invoking a silly 20mph limit is total madness...why oh why have a default set for 20 mph??
Its an accident waiting to happen, weird in this day & age of safety gone mad
I have immediately told my wife about it & demo'd it to her so she is aware of the possibility of hitting it in err
Appreciate 0