View Single Post
      07-11-2018, 06:20 PM   #4607
Nezil
Major
Rep
Drives: LCI '18 6MT M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
The Uniden R3 is the one I would get, but not sure it would be that useful in my area.
I just got and installed an R3.

It is silent almost all of the time. It does go off for the odd K Band detection of retail spaces but you can location mute them and then it doesn't go off any more.

There are also K band alerts for those signs you see at the side of the road that tell you how fast you're going, often with a smily face if you're under the limit, and sad face if you're not.

I've only seen one Ka notification in the week since I've had it, but it was very weak, and probably some distance away. I've also not seen any cars pulled over or any cops out checking speed.

In 6 years in the Bay Area, I've not been stopped, but I'm sure I've been close a number of times on Central Expressway and 280 in the past. I'm hoping the R3 will alert me to these threats ahead of time... we shall see.

Oh, I should say that I read the Vortex Radar guide for how to configure the R3, and I'm sure that's why it's so quiet. Years ago, I had a really low end radar detector and it went off all the time. Like most people I gave up and just never used it. The R3 is a VERY different experience, and I've been happy so far.

Current Performance Mods:
CSF FMIC, ER CP, Fabspeed Cat, Aquamist WMI, GFB DV+, NGK 97506, BM3 (Stage 2 93 OTS), CDV delete, UCP, M2C/M3/M4 Strut Brace, M3/M4 Reinforcement Rings
Appreciate 0