04-24-2016, 01:06 PM   #7
ashburyn54
Captain
Rep
Drives: f87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by supersam
JRC exhaust valve delete mod

Unlike the f80/f82, our f87 only has one exhaust valve proximal to the driver’s side exhaust tips. When you first start the car, you’ll notice it has that burbly tone but after ~30 seconds the sound becomes more subdued— thats the transition from open valve to closed valve. You can read up elsewhere on the forum about when/why the valves open/close in different driving conditions/modes.

Personally, I wanted the valves open all the time. I drove the first 100 miles in Sport 90% of the time, and then got the JRC exhaust valve delete kit developed for the f80/f82. There is a pretty simple youtube video for the install
. The kit essentially comes with a male and female connector to plug what was just disconnected (oem bmw connectors). Since the f80/f82 kit comes with 4 plugs for 2 valves, just get the 2 series kit that has one pair for 1 valve. The one difference from the M3/M4 that I will mention when installing this, the f87 valve is located just beyond a bend so its hard to get to with a screwdriver if you want to manually push it open. So before disconnecting the valve, put it in sport+, give it some revs, then turn the motor off to keep the valve in the open position. If you look through the medial exhaust tip on the drivers side with a penlight, you should see a sliver of the valve in the open position. Its a terrible pic, but its that sliver just beyond the bend. Easier to see IRL.

As far as being able to adjust it on the fly, there is CG Precision VSC-1 that is plug-n-play and confirmed to work on our f87, but is ~ 200$. Theres the Macht Schnell EVC module, that hasn’t been confirmed for the f87 and is ~$500 and requires splicing into obd2. Theres the BMS can flap module which is ~$280 and plug-n-play, but unconfirmed for f87. If there are any i'm missing, or the aforementioned have been tried on the f87, please post!

Overall, theres more gurble and pop in the low end when revs are coming down. I can’t tell any difference under load with higher speeds (perhaps bc the valves are usually programmed to be open then), but just putzing around town the Braap-gurble-brap is more prominent. Its too cheap and reversible not to try.

pros:
-cheap, 3 minute install
-reversible
-no check engine light/errors
-no drone
-no damage to exposed wires/connectors

cons:
-cannot open/close valves on the fly
Thanks guys. Question. I simply just unplugged the valve today to see if anything popped up. No lights, or warnings. Why do I need this? Should I expect a code thrown?
Appreciate 0