CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
Fairfax County, VA's attempt at distance learning was a shit show last school year. And then all the finger pointing going on with the school blaming the software company and the software company blaming the school for not implementing the patches they told them to do a couple of years ago.

None of these schools have had a real load test of their IT systems with teleconferencing.

I'm in IT too. Even we've had issues with some meetings held over teleconference. To the point where many of us had to turn off video to at least stabilize the audio portion.
I'm talking about all the IT stuff aside, it will still be a shit show.

1. You have parents threatening to sue the school/teachers and/or other parents if their kid gets the virus.

2. You have board of eds and teachers that are basically doing nothing to make things safer, IE: distancing, providing additional cleaning resources, etc. In one example, the state has said schools need to be cleaned every night for student safety. Many of these schools have bare bones custodial staff due to budget cuts, and they can barely clean things now. The unions obviously won't have them work more hours.

3. You have older staff who are technology inept that are basically refusing to do their jobs since "they don't do technology" and the school unions are protecting them.

4. You have board of ed members that are 70+ who still think laptops and other technology learning tools are not valuable ways to spend money, even in a pandemic where a hybrid in school/distance learning model or completely virtual learning model is likely this year.

5. In one meeting I brought up taking temperatures at the door, and tracking it with our student information/attendance system. Kids who have high temperatures would be sent home to quarantine, giving us more freedom in the school. This idea failed because parents didn't want their kids being singled out, or other people knowing they were sick since they might be made fun of. This kind of behavior leads me to believe they would be the ones sending their kids to school if they were sick, since getting other people sick in their mind is better than their little baby's feeling's getting hurt.

The reality is there are way too many unions, way too many short sighted and empty minded people running school districts to effectively put a plan in place that will work. The state knows this, and this is why the state department of education has put out the most vague guidelines they possibly could've, in order to prevent the blame from being pointed at them when shit hits the fan.
Appreciate 1
Hawkeye2069.50