Rep
Drives: a car

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanWRT View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nezil View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natek View Post
Anyone have experience with both of these turbos? I'm looking at both and am torn. They both seem to make roughly the same power and dyno plots look similar. I can't find compressor maps for either.

If you had to pick one which would you choose and why? Keep in mind this is for a street car.
I'm interested in this as well. I'm not at the point to go for an upgraded turbo, but it's something I'll be considering a few months from now, and I'm considering both of these options.

I believe SeanWRT has the TTE550, and has knowledge of the PS2 from other vehicles so he might be able to shed some light on the differences.

My understanding is that PS2 is significantly cheaper because they can handle core exchange in the US, whereas other hybrid vendors either don't support a core deposit, and / or aren't US based which slows things down a lot.

The other thing that puts me off about going PS2, is that I keep hearing rumours of different versions of PS2. Is there a PS2+ for the M2? How many fins does it have, is a titanium impeller etc. I wish they'd publish version numbers and details if they are changing the specs like that.
Mine is a G Power, not TTE550, although they seem to have similar capacity.

PS2 is physically bigger and is the only proven hybrid turbo that supports 22+psi (WMI and fueling are also required), or at least holds up that kind of boost for a short while.

Also very obvious with the PS2 is the turbo lag. If you live in the city downtown, it's quite annoying as you'll be feeling it most of time bumper to bumper traffic. The car feels sluggish.

I'd set up a goal first and decide which turbo to do.
Sean, as always your insight is spot on. The lag w the PS2 is exactly why I'm hesitant about it. II do a fair bit of casual city driving. The TTE seems like it would split the difference between stock and PS2 in terms of spool but it's impossible to find compressor maps for either.

Ultimately, the goal is as much top end power as is possible without sacrificing daily drivability in traffic. The car is already FBO w a Dinan turbo and XDI hpfp so a bugger turbo would somewhat plug and play. My thought being that because I'm limited to 91 octane and do not want to deal with meth injection, a larger turbo at the same PSI I'm currently tuned to(approx 18psi) would flow more air and result with a slightly cooler AIT.

My worry w the TTE is that they're in Germany and if I need support for whatever reason it's going to be a huge pain. Plus, if I install it only to find that the lag is similar to the PS2 then it would make more sense just to go the Pure route
Appreciate 1