View Single Post
      11-26-2013, 10:31 AM   #1
wrestleSBA
Private
Rep
Drives: 325i

Camera Upgrade - Opinions Needed

All,

I have a trip to Europe coming up in a couple of weeks with my wife and my old trusty Canon 40D is currently out of commission and in need of some repairs... so finally got the wife to agree it is time for an upgrade.

Being on the frugal side I am considering a few used or refurbished options to replace the 40D (which I will have repaired and hand down to my sister who is starting to get into photography).

What are your thoughts / opinions on the options below? I need to pull the trigger most likely by Black Friday or Cyber Monday at the worst given that we leave December 6th.

Canon 7D - ~$850-900
Canon 5D - ~$650
Canon 60D - ~$580
Canon 50D - ~$450

The 60D, 50D, and the 7D all seem tempting to me.

The 60D would cause me to update from CF cards to SD cards so some additional expense there and I am not sure about the reduced size / body materials. I have pretty large hands and like the way the 40D felt.

The 50D seems like it would be extremely comparable to what I have now which is a positive but wonder if I am missing out on a good opportunity for better performance. Another camera change isn't likely any time soon.

The 7D is right at the top end of what I want to spend but seems like it might be a good option. Have heard hit or miss things on the autofocus though...

What say you all?