View Single Post
      03-21-2019, 09:17 AM   #123
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cecaa850 View Post
How much of your issue is octane related and how much is having a stock IC? Will you try not running an additive when you swap IC's?
I’m actually running the Dinan IC, which my logs show isn’t good enough for higher boost maps with the Dinan turbo.

I’ve never run additive, but anytime I’ve gone to the track (40+ days in my M2) from stock thru various tune & mod stages, I always experienced timing pull and reduced power on 93 once the engine started getting nice and warm.

Adding 1/3-1/2 tank of 100 octane always cured the issue, except on hot days. The 100 octane would help on hot days, but the overall bottleneck at that point was high IATs. Boostane is much cheaper than buying 100 octane pump gas, so I’m going to give it a shot.

Even with 93-96 octane, most all of us have times when we drive in 90F+ weather, and even with the best IC, it’s inevitable you’ll experience timing pull as IATs go over 120F. There’s nothing we can do about that with our air to air intercooling on the N55.

This comes back to SeanWRT point about tuning for max power or tuning for consistency. If you’re focused on max power, you have to realize you’ll only hit it under ideal conditions (cold weather, high octane, no back to back pulls). Whereas, the OTS maps will get you close to max power much more often (warmer days, good octane, track days).

This said, there are so many variables for each of us when it comes to mods, gas, weather, if you’re driving on the street or track, etc that the best thing to do is start with a map, log, see what’s doing well & what’s not, adjust, log, review, adjust, log, review, etc. I enjoy this part of BM3 and the forum bc I learn more each time.

If anyone doesn’t want to worry about all that, just go OTS, and then they don’t have to worry about asking all these questions.

Last edited by ZM2; 03-21-2019 at 09:28 AM..
Appreciate 1
SeanWRT3179.00