03-21-2019, 08:48 AM   #119
cecaa850
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZM2 View Post
Halim@HCP & SeanWRT know more about engine tuning than I ever will, but the BM3 platform has given me the tools to get feedback, learn, and help sort out my car, e.g., my high IATs on warmer days will be addressed soon.

The piece of real world experience that I can echo and that the guys are mentioning is just how knife edge the car is with octane. I find even 93 on a cold day isn’t good enough when you’re really pushing the motor at the track. Does it work, sure, but even just bumping to 96 octane the engine feels much smoother (and a tiny bit stronger).

It’s enough of a positive improvement that I may just start using Boostane all the time. They have a very handy app that calculates octane and additional cost per gallon to hit your desired octane level. For me to go to 96, it’s an additional $3.50 per fill up to get to 96. For the 91 guys, it’s $1.75/tank to get to 93 and $4/tank to get to 96.

I only mention this bc it’s clear octane is the biggest bottleneck with our cars, and I really feel for the 91 guys.
How much of your issue is octane related and how much is having a stock IC? Will you try not running an additive when you swap IC's?
Appreciate 0