View Single Post
      03-26-2020, 10:30 AM   #43
Nezil
Major
Rep
Drives: LCI '18 6MT M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by David.m View Post
I've posted before about experiencing the 1sec lag/delay getting back on wot and adopted the 'fix' of shifting after 6K rpm after reading it on this forum.

From some 'testing' I did 2 days ago I'm now wondering whether shift speed (ie time off throttle) with the oem engine set-up is contributing to the issue. I went for a solo country drive so was able to randomly stop on straight stretches of road, I managed to do 10 x wot shifts 1 through 4th gears (fear of instant lost licence stopped 5/6th) and varied shifting between 4 & 6K+ rpm, not once did I get the lag/delay. Traction light came on every shift into 2nd and a few into 3rd (road was intermittently slightly damp). Stock tune driving in Sport mode.

I was shifting as fast as I could with the Auto Solutions 20% SSK/Raceseng Cylinder Circuit knob & BMS clutch stop 2 shims. Previously I wasn't confident shifting as fast, I initially had a AS SSK 25% reduction and because it was a bit tight/notchy I was cautious at letting the clutch out too quickly fearing the obvious. Before that it was the oem shifter which is just so rubbery/vague compared to the AS SSK.

I'm on track next week (not cancelled as yet due to Cvirus) so will see if I can repeat the results.
In case you didn't read everything I just posted, there are two things that appear to happen with a quicker shift, or a shift at high revs.
  • The first is that the higher the revs are, the higher they're going to be in the next gear, and the quicker boost will build, even if the waste gate doesn't fully close.
  • The second is that if you shift quickly, the boost doesn't drop as much, so there is less boost build needed to reach target again.
So... quicker shifts and / or shifting at higher revs can 'mask' the problem, but logs show that it's 100% still there. Even the common wisdom that if you shift above 6,000 rpm the behaviour changes... logs show that there is no difference in DME behaviour; all that seems to happen is that the issue is being masked by the reasons above.

Feeling and performance are most important of course... but unfortunately only logs will tell you what is really going on I'm afraid.

Current Performance Mods:
CSF FMIC, ER CP, Fabspeed Cat, Aquamist WMI, GFB DV+, NGK 97506, BM3 (Stage 2 93 OTS), CDV delete, UCP, M2C/M3/M4 Strut Brace, M3/M4 Reinforcement Rings
Appreciate 1
David.m437.00