12-08-2019, 10:45 AM   #22
neurostrokemd
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2C 2020 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5150d View Post
FINALLY SOLVED (sort of): The Apple Car Play is handled via WI-FI. If you connect your iPhone via Bluetooth it may work sometimes and be unreliable.

I found this out by forgetting the Bluetooth connection in the iPhone and in the M2 and then restarting the iPhone and the M2.

YOU NEED TO CONNECT THE iPhone via the APPLE CAR PLAY icon in the M2 - NOT VIA CONNECT PHONE THROUGH BLUETOOTH. IT WILL THEN BOOT UP THE CAR PLAY AND CONNECT.

If successful you will see the connection in your iPhone settings under WI-FI (apple car play connected). Bluetooth does show the M2 PAIRED but it does not connect via that. And, yes, there is a check box in the Bluetooth section of the M2 that does say use Apple Car Play and it is checked BUT the important point is that when you go to ADD MOBILE DEVICE in the M2 you need to click on the APPLE CAR PLAY icon (in the M2) NOT the Pair Phone.

I got to this point because I repeatedly got the screen in in the M2 when I tried to pair the iPhone via Bluetooth clicking on pair phone in add mobile device WHICH said apple car play failed. Don't click on that.

The Apple Car Play still does not come on at Start Up as the standard BMW menu comes on BUT it does immediately show the Apple Car Play icon which I have to touch to bring it up. And, the BMW iDrive navigation works at same time which it did not work when using Bluetooth. ALSO - YOU CAN PRESS THE VOICE BOTTON ON THE STEERING WHEEL AND SAY "CARPLAY" AND IT WILL BOOT UP ON SCREEN.

Please advise if this works for you and if I am correct?
I was not going to use car play with my work phone but I gave it a go after they announced it free. However I only got iphone to pair bluetooth. There's nowhere in the entire iDrive system where I can find Apple car play icon. There's yelp, amazon alexa etc.
Appreciate 1
goku7173.00